DID YOU KNOW?

The Salvation Army began in London in 1865.


The Salvation Army didn’t become The Salvation Army until William Booth, its founder, adopted the name in 1878.


By 1880 The Salvation Army was working in the U.S., Europe, India, Australia and South America.


The first Salvation Army missionary hospital opened in 1901.


During World War II, The Salvation Army led the formation of the national United Service Organization in 1941. USO was created to serve the religious, spiritual and educational needs of the men and women in the armed forces.


The Salvation Army serves people in 102 countries.


The Salvation Army has over 9,600 centers in the USA.


Salvation Army mobile canteens bring food, clothing, blankets and medical supplies to disaster locations. It also helps reunite families and help those in need find emergency shelter.


The Salvation Army provides over 450,000 meals annually in the Western Division alone. This is accomplished through more than 40 adult meal, food pantry, residential care and youth meal programs.


That in 2012, volunteers across the Omaha/Council Bluffs area donated over 97,000 hours of their time supporting various Salvation Army programs!

Event Calendar

May 13 - 19 National Salvation Army Week


The Celebration Has Begun!

The year 2013 marks the 125th anniversary of The Salvation Army in Omaha built around the theme, "125 Years Caring for Omaha." The Omaha Citadel Corps, known as the No. 1 Corps, opened in February 1888 at 416 South 19th St. In 1938, Omaha became headquarters for the newly named Western Division. The corps went through more than 20 addresses and various names before ending up on a five acre campus at 36th and Cuming street in 1990 which was valued at $2 million. The Lied Renaissance Center was a gift from Nebraska Methodist Midtown Hospital.

Events throughout this year will commemorate the anniversary. "We’re moving toward another 125 years of caring for Omaha," said Joanne Bemis, divisional director of development and community relations. Last September, divisional headquarters moved from the Lied Renaissance Center, a 1906 building in need of renovation. Plans are underway to replace the social services center with a more efficient facility.